REDEVELOPMENT plans for Llandudno’s pier pavilion, costing £15 million, have been officially submitted to the council.
The proposal is for 54 high-quality apartments, two restaurants, underground car parking and an enhanced public realm featuring a walkway from the pier through to Happy Valley Road.
Conwy County Borough Council confirmed on Tuesday that a planning application had been submitted.
The site, next to the resort’s Grand Hotel, was purchased in April last year by Alan Waldron for over £1million.
He admits he is determined to restore the pier to its former glory and give Llandudno a new, modern and quality building it can be proud of.
“Together with Creu Architecture, from Denbigh, I’ve worked closely with the council, CADW, Mostyn Estates and the Design Commission to draw-up proposals that will do just that,” he said.
“We’ve consulted residents, businesses, and the owners of the pier and the Grand Hotel throughout, so there has been complete transparency and a willingness to review the design in response to feedback.”
Pictured above are the plans submitted to Conwy council for Llandudno's pier pavilion
Mr Waldron, from Deganwy, is committed to using local builders and suppliers and in leasing the restaurants more than 100 jobs will be generated.
“I’ve been in discussions for some time with two very well-known chains that are seriously interested in taking the space." he said: “The apartments will be of the highest standard – the build cost for this is going to be around £15million – and they won’t be for short-term lets, they’re for people who are as committed as we are to producing a development Llandudno can be proud of.”
Cllr Graham Rees, Conwy’s cabinet member for tourism, marketing and leisure, welcomed plans for the site, calling them “a golden opportunity for a quality redevelopment at a key tourism site”.
Mr Waldron added: “The plans are now with the council, and should they be approved I expect construction to begin in the autumn.
“It is 10 years since I first looked at the site and recognised the need for a quality project but the path towards re-development has been far from easy and has only been sustained because of local commitment."
Previous plans submitted divided opinion and more than 1,250 people backed a petition highlighting the need for the project to reflect its Victorian surroundings after Mr Waldron released images of his plans ahead of a consultation in November.
This led to the promise to amend plans after a storm of protest over the building’s ‘out of place’ design.
He added: "We’ve tackled any issue head-on and I would like to thank all of the people who helped us to this point.
“I truly believe this is a development that will enhance the location, the economy and support tourism, as well as creating jobs in one of the most beautiful towns in the country.
“It’s been a real labour of love, but I care deeply about this region as I showed in developing Deganwy Quay; I wouldn’t have gone ahead with this if I didn’t want the best for a truly fabulous location which has been left empty for far too long.”
The project fits into Conwy Economic Growth Strategy 2017-2027, a draft of which was approved by the council’s Cabinet earlier this year.
The Strategy sets out goals to increase productivity, competitiveness and growth for the county.
Alan said: “We fully support the strategy, and the strategy supports the need for restaurants and bars in the town."